Yadayada

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My beautiful self

Being the kind of person who will stand up in a polite dinner party and say "Excuse me for a moment, I need a crap!" just as the cream and chocolate log is about to be served - then feels the shame as I walk away, the part of my brain that deals with social propriety is wired up all wrong.

So when it came to this blog I thought - excellent I can really let rip but after the clever posts of meta-introspection by ant and Sadia I did consider for a while whether there should be limits to the amount of vainly babbling on about myself I do. Hmm... nah! It is my blog and I'll do what I want and besides Stellastoria requested it on the super interactive saturday that she was the *only* person to vote in. Come on people show me the love!

So here goes - firstly all the stuff everyone can agree on. I am 32, 6 ft tall, wavy light brown hair that goes blond in the sun, big grey blue eyes, a body that I would describe as lithe - not an ounce of fat but maybe on the slimmer side of ideal. As for below the belt - lets not go *there* again.

I am good looking? Well even I can't decide. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think - hen, you are a handsome devil. Sometime I look in the mirror and think - oh my god what the hell is that?

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder - both relative and subjective. But I believe the aesthetic appeal of something is an intrinsic property of an object like say it's colour. Much the like the uncertainly principle the act of looking at something will actually change it from being just an object to a beautiful object.

This means there is not one universe but many all centred on each of our views, depending on how beautiful or ugly we find things.

The closer we are to someone spiritually (for the lack of a better world) the closer the world will appear to us as it does to them. It is the same for faces - the closer you are to someone the closer you will see them as they see themselves. That is why people smile in photographs and happy people are more attractive than sad people.

So for all those people out there who are alone and think they are ugly - don't and eventually you will find someone who agrees with you.

"Cut the fucking bullshit.." I here the homunculus cry "and tell us whether you are fit or not!"

My face has enough oddities (thin lips, slightly wonky teeth, pointy chin, couple of small scars) to mean it is not classically good looking in the sense that everybody would think it is but it also has many appealing qualities. It is an interesting face. It is generally the people that I have a similar world view that find me the most attractive because I generally have the impression of myself that I am quite gorgeous.

So the answer is yes and no. I could be devastatingly handsome, I could be repulsively ugly - it all depends on who you are and your point of view. And you know what? I prefer it like that.

5 Comments:

  • Arrogance/confidence fine line there. Put a picture up? Fuck that shit. No I only did it because I wanted to put a link the uncertainty principle to make me out to be dead brainy.

    By Blogger h, at 4:19 pm  

  • Thank you Sadia - a very very good point well made.

    {nobly strides off to buy some new aftershave and elocution lessons}

    By Blogger h, at 7:59 pm  

  • Ha! She said schlong!
    Sadia is right. I have dated some people who were dead sexy bastards. Past good partners included one that was by most standards f'ugly (& wonderful), someone of above-normal girth (and amazing...you know), and one that was brilliant (but smelly). Why they were hot? They were entertaining & smart & liked me. It's not as difficult as one might think.

    I hear the ladies like em dead brainy, too.

    By Blogger Hope E. Ewing, at 10:37 pm  

  • Good points, all. Attraction is an interesting thing. I have the occasional guy friend who might say: "Hey, how about Dick? He's a good looking guy, right? Girls love him, usually." And when my reaction is "Ew, gross!! He's a pontificating jackass who only talks about himself, I find him largely unattractive," I often get looks of perplexity. Ugly personality makes for ugly person and to me, it shows through quite clearly. I have dated both conventionally beautiful looking men and also men who might be considered "butt ugly". It really didn't matter. I beholded what I beholded.

    Myself, I have been called both "ugly" and "beautiful" in my time, even to this very day. Aren't they diametrically opposed? How can I seem both? I am not overly bothered about it because clearly, people will perceive what they perceive, regardless of how your features may come together or not. I figure, if I act with inner beauty, it'll translate to the outside more often.

    Ah, scent of man... mmmm. That's a strong one. I pretty much agree on Sadia's assessments.

    So how about it, Hen, just a little pic? Do it for the ladies. Of course, the moment you show yourself, your enigma index will invariably drop.

    By Blogger zura, at 1:34 am  

  • Heh, thanks Zura. I think I'll will keep my enigma index up for the time being. Anyway if you are that interested I am sure if you asked the right person you should be able to get one.

    By Blogger h, at 10:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home