Yadayada

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sometimes good is not enough

About a year ago, after a few months working at the company I work for, I changed seats in an office reorganisation and sat next to a guy I didn’t know very well. One Monday I asked the usual Monday office questions:

“How was your weekend – what did you get up to?
“I ran the London Marathon” he said un-enthusiastically
“Wow great! Did you finish?”
“Yeah I finished” he said despondently
“Well… well done! Did you raise some money for charity” I said trying to think of some London marathon type things to say
“No – I didn’t do that this time”
“Right, right so err... what time did you do?” I said thinking that is the kind of thing you say to marathon runners.
“2:24”

My brain starts spinning – I know that the winning time is normally about 2:09 or something and 2:24 doesn’t sound too far off it.

“Hmm – well... err... I don’t really know, like, a lot about marathons but isn’t that really really fucking fast?”
“It is not bad – it the time I got last time and the time before. The time 2:24 has become my nemesis”
“So where did that place you - it must be pretty high up?”
“Top 50”
“Top 50 what?”
“Runners”
“Wow!”
“Paula Radcliffe beat me” he said miserably
“Well Paula… she is a bit special plus she lost some weight crapping herself half way through – so that doesn’t really count” I said helpfully
“It wouldn’t have been so bad but 2 other women beat me too”
“Sign of the times my friend – but still, top 50 – if you were a football player you would be a millionaire by now.”

This didn’t seem to cheer him up. In fact it just added to his disillusionment.

“I guess I am just not good enough – even with full-time training I could only scrap another 5 minutes off and you need be under 2:15 regularly to make career out of it.”

“Lucky you got this place then…”

Since then his marathon running has taken a back seat but it turns out he is a highly skilled financial mathematician too.

“Hi, I am in a meeting talking about how we risk inflation swaps – can I conference you in?” I asked him once
“I’ll come over”
“Wait - we are on the other side of the building...” but before I finished the sentence he was knocking on the door.

I guess all skills are transferable.

There is a down side - there is a regular inter investment bank 6 mile “fun” run in the City which he wins every time and all the unopened boxes of engraved crystals are starting clog up our shared post in-box.

4 Comments:

  • Highly amusing, and I like the sound of your colleague. All skills are transferable, ha ha ha! Yippee! Please enquire about his fencing, cat burgling, tight rope walking, chess playing and wine tasting skills.

    By Blogger bloggin the Question, at 11:41 am  

  • What a great anecdote. Personally I tend to find overachievers a bit irritating, naturally due to my own feelings of inadequacy. Then again, you can always compensate for this by making up a terrific fault or idiosyncracy for them and snickering about it to yourself whenever they leave the room.

    By Blogger Hope E. Ewing, at 1:05 pm  

  • Some people are never satisfied, are they? Mind you, all marathon runners looks miserable - they never smile. Well, except Jimmy Saville, but he's not human.

    By Blogger Wyndham, at 4:26 pm  

  • Don't ever let the old lady come to your job--this dude's got "game"!

    By Blogger Zen Wizard, at 2:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home